Job Title: Handyman/Handywoman for Clean & Tunes and Air Conditioning programs (HEAP/LiHEAP)
Department: Career and Family Services
Status: Non-Exempt, Part-Time Per Diem
Reports To: Career and Family Services Program Director
Prepared By: HR Director
Prepared Date: 07/19/2017; Revised 10/2019; Revised 03/28/22
L.E.A.P.’s Handyman/Handywoman is directly responsible to the Career and Family Services Program Director. Responsible for performing cleaning and tuning primary heating equipment, installation of room-sized air conditioners, and following all applicable L.E.A.P. purchasing guidelines and policies. It is the understanding and expectation of this organization that all employees will take the opportunity to contribute to the overall success and mission of the agency above and beyond the basic requirements of their job.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge in many aspects of maintenance and installation work
- Verbal communication
- Ability to read, write, and follow written and oral instructions
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean and Tune primary heating source equipment – this may also include chimney cleaning, minor repairs, and installation of carbon monoxide detectors or programmable thermostats, if needed, to allow for the safe, proper, and efficient operation of the heating equipment.
- Measuring, purchasing, delivering, and installation of room-sized air conditioners (A/C).
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED, 5 or more years handyman/handywoman or related experience
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid driver’s license which meets agency standards. Pertinent safety knowledge and training.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to dust, noise, and temperature changes. The employee may also be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. If the employee is exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, appropriate protective equipment must be worn. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. Furthermore, the employee will be visiting the homes of customers and may be exposed to unsanitary conditions, and all appropriate precautionary measures must be taken.
- Ability to reach and lift materials
- Manual dexterity, overall coordination, and good balance are required. Ability to stand, walk, and move for an entire work shift. Ability to bend, stoop, twist and turn, climb stairs and ladders, and an ability to perform repetitious arm and wrist movements.
- Mental alertness to ensure safe and accurate completion of work activities.
Rate of Pay
- $ 27.49 hourly
- $ 150.00 Per Diem Clean & Tune Stipend (may include chimney cleaning, minor repairs, installation of carbon monoxide detectors or programmable thermostats, if needed, to allow for the safe, proper, and efficient operation of the heating equipment.
- $150.00 Per Diem Stipend for Air Conditioning installation (Measuring, purchase, delivery, and installation of room-sized air conditioners (A/C).
- $150.00 Per Diem for LiHeap Cooling Program
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties, and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the job-holders responsibility. The employee will perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the Career and Family Services Program Director.
L.E.A.P. reserves the right to revise or change job duties or responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
IF YOU WISH TO APPLY, PLEASE FORWARD YOUR RESUME, ALONG WITH A LETTER OF INTEREST TO NANCY WARNOCK, CAREER AND FAMILY SERVICES PROGRAM DIRECTOR. [email protected], and ROBERTA DAVIS, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR EMPLOYMENT, AND TRAINING DEPARTMENT. [email protected]
L.E.A.P is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer