The Disabilities Manager is directly responsible to the Assistant Director of Education and Center Services and ensures that integrated and related services are in compliance with the Head Start Performance Standards, the Performance Standards for Children with Disabilities, State and Federal special education laws, and the Washington County Head Start/Early Head Start Comprehensive Program Plan. It is the understanding and expectation of this organization that all employees will take the opportunity to contribute to the overall success and mission of the agency above and beyond the basic requirements of their job.
$19.98/hr | 35hrs/wk | 52wks/yr | Access to a generous host of benefits options.
1. Adhere to the agency’s policy on confidentiality both within the agency and the community and adhere to all program policies and procedures.
2. Work closely with all program staff to ensure an integrated approach and provide comprehensive services to children and families.
3. Supervise and assist Special Education Staff/Inclusion Aides in all required activities and provide timely feedback.
4. Assist the Assistant Director and/or all Coordinators in the hiring of new employees, orientation and in-service training and provide annual staff performance appraisals.
5. Promote and support the program’s School Readiness goals and the Parent, Family, and Community Engagement (PFCE) goals.
6. Provide classroom staff and parents with physical, social and instructional activities and recommendations that support the development of children with disabilities and create an inclusive, natural classroom environment.
7. Communicate with related services providers, early intervention staff, school district Committee on Pre-School Education offices on a regular basis to coordinate services for children with disabilities, facilitate referrals, and monitor progress.
8. Complete home visits/center contacts with families whose children have special needs as requested.
9. Plan and coordinate with the Education, Health Services and Home-Based Coordinators the developmental and speech screenings for all children in accordance with the Performance Standards and program policy and procedure.
10. Oversee the completion of annual behavioral screenings (DECA) for all children in the home based and center based programs.
11. Participate in the case management process and act as a resource for the educational, social, and emotional needs of children.
12. Advocate for Head Start/Early Head Start children.
13. Provide special education training for parents.
14. Provide learning materials for children with disabilities.
15. Utilize professional reading, writing and communication skills in order to carry out necessary job requirements.
16. Ensure and utilize an effective record keeping system.
17. Assist in the annual revision of the Comprehensive Program Plan, Polices and Procedures, Community Assessment, PIR, and in the Program Self-Assessment.
18. Attend upon request all staff and other appropriate meetings, trainings and conferences. Some of which may necessitate out-of-county travel and evening/overnight attendance.
19. Prepare a monthly monitoring report for the disabilities component and submit to the Director to be submitted to the policy council. Present report at monthly on-going monitoring meetings with the administrative team.
20. Maintain all applicable licenses, certifications and credentials.
1. Preferred: A bachelor’s degree in Special Education with a commitment to the inclusion of children with disabilities in classrooms with typically developing peers and an understanding of the laws for preschool special education.
2. Experience working with parents and preschool children with disabilities.
3. Preferably a minimum of two years experience in an administrative/supervisory role.
4. A valid driver’s license.
5. An understanding of young children and low-income families, and an appreciation of parents as the primary educators of their children.
Interested Candidates should submit a resume with cover letter to Jacqui Bell, Onboarding Coordinator at [email protected] Please indicate the position you’re applying for in the subject line. For more information, or with any questions, please contact Jacqui by email or at 518-747-2816 x208.
LEAP in an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.